About Me

Hey there...My name is John Alice and I am happily married to my wife of 11 years Erin. We have five children; Tawna, Austin, Hailey, Isabel, & E-beth. I also happen to be the Pastor of Old Fort Church in the Northern Midwestern part of Ohio. God has done so many things in my life from being a church planter in a YMCA to fostering up to 14 different children in our house. There have been many struggles along the way with infertility, Isabel's Aperts Syndrome, and the challenges of raising five children. However, God has always met me in times of struggle and walked with me through these real life issues.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

When fear takes over...

It was 5AM and we heard a little knock on our bedroom door. Usually that is not a good sign and involves kids sick or vomiting and such. Of course when I answered it was Austin and he had just thrown up. Now normally this wouldn't have been that big of a deal. However, we have just finished a 4 week stint where chicken pox, stomach, and kidney stones have made there way through our house. The last person got the stomach flu just last week and we thought we were done. Then Austin gets sick again.

After I cleaned up the mess, there I was laying in bed not able to fall back asleep for a few minutes before going off to church to preach the Sunday sermon. Fear of the unknown was running wild in my heart. "Who would get it next, would it run through our entire house again, will Erin get sick, will I miss work, this is the busy season at church, we can't go through this again?" On and on I laid there in fear of what was to come. The thing was I had no control whatsoever over these circumstances. I had no answer to these questions and no ability to stop this thing from spreading. All I could do was fret & worry! Then I thought to myself...give it to God. Give Jesus my fears and trust him with the results. So I prayed and talked to God. I shared with him my concern and my fear. He reminded me how trustworthy He is. I admit to you that as I write this I still have some fear and concern with the sickness stuff and also with some other things going on in life right now. this trusting God thing is hard especially when you have little or no control over the issue that concerns you.

This Christmas season I am reminded that each person that wound up at the manger the night Jesus was born started with or experienced along the way a sense of fear. The only person in that stable that night without fear was the bay, Jesus. Jesus came to answer our fears and to give us faith. It is our faith in Christ that sustains us and allows us to put our fear in a healthy place. When we fear man or this world we wind up making ourselves sick with worry and it controls us. When we give our fear over to God it turns to faith, belief, and often peace. Jesus came to be our Wonderful Counselor, our Mighty God, Our Everlasting Father, and our Prince of Peace. In all of these names we have received specific gifts from Him. Gifts that sustain us through life and deal with our fears. This Christmas let's take our fears to God and discover an renewed faith in our creator. Blessings, Your Dreaming Pastor

No comments: